Week in Washington, D.C. and 4th of July

We got to D.C. in what may have been the hottest week of the year so far. It was miserably hot. We planned our days bouncing from AC to AC around the mall area. We did do the Botanical Gardens earlier in the day to stay cooler.

The heat was so bad Dad was scoping out more indoor things. We were able to get a last minute tour of Voice of America. It was really neat to see how the whole communication network around the world works.

Up next was the Native American exhibit and lunch with fry bread and honey. We learned to read the khipu. The khipu was an ancient way to keep track of numbers. I loved riding the Metro as always. I passed the time making funny faces with mom.

We took the evenings to cool off in the pool. We enjoyed a few rides around on the campground wagon before hitting the showers.

More riding the Metro. Today I was really into the daily paper. The Natural History Museum had free admission to the butterfly exhibit. We got there early and spent a lot of time talking to the docents.

We extracted our DNA and made little necklace vials.  We have never been to the hands on area before. They have a social collections that is interactive and you can look at items in drawers then take them to microscopes an other tools to explore them. What a really fun way to spend a hot afternoon. We even found the overflow of some of their insect collection. We took a short wander around DC on foot and opted for the Metro back to the campground since we were too hot. The 4th of July was a classic old time holiday! We went to Mt. Vernon and spent the morning exploring and learning. Ben Franklin read the Declaration of Independence. We saw George Washington’s false teeth. It was really creepy. They had daytime fireworks. They were explosive balls of powdery smoke. It was really cool.  IN the evening everyone was tired but B and I wanted to see fireworks. Mom packed us into the car really early and we drove over to the University of Maryland in CollegePark. We found a good spot and settled in for a long afternoon of card games, snacks and waiting.  We had really great seats for the fireworks and no-one in front of us! I met another little boy names Emmerson. We laughed at our names. The next day we went to the National Zoo with Grandma Jo and Grandpa Howie. We were hot and miserable. Grandma’s hip and back were bugging her so we called it an early day and headed back to the campground. I loved all the statues as usual.I got nose to nose with a gorilla. Our last day in town Dad was able to go with us to the Air and Space Museum that isn’t in the National Mall. This may be my new favorite place! I really loved seeing the space shuttle discovery! We saw it launch for the last time many years ago. It was smaller than I thought it would be but it was still HUGE.

I wanted the R2-D2 mailbox for our house! Mom was trying to explain what the Concord was and that Grandpa Howie had flown on it before. I really didn’t get it  and just wanted to go run up and down the stairs. I think I nearly killed Mom with all the stairs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *